We subsidize shareholders so corporations can underpay employees and over-compensate CEOs.
The Purity Myth.
If you’re a female this should concern and frighten you in a big way.
If you’re a human being in general this should concern and frighten you in a big way.
1) “I’m going to speak plainly and honest about what’s happened here. Because the American people are trying to figure out how can something have 90% support and yet not happen.” 2) “This legislation in fact outlawed any registry, plain and simple, right there in the text. But that didn’t matter. And, unfortunately, this pattern […]
1) “I’m going to speak plainly and honest about what’s happened here. Because the American people are trying to figure out how can something have 90% support and yet not happen.”
2) “This legislation in fact outlawed any registry, plain and simple, right there in the text. But that didn’t matter. And, unfortunately, this pattern of spreading untruths about this legislation served a purpose. Because those lies upset an intense minority of gun owners and that in turn intimidated a lot of senators.””
3) “Most of these senators could not offer any good reason why we wouldn’t want to make it harder for criminals and those with severe mental illnesses to buy a gun… It came down to politics. The worry that that vocal minority of gun owners would come after them in future elections. They worried that the gun lobby would spend a lot of money and paint them as anti-second amendment.”
4) “I’ve heard some say that blocking this step would be a victory. And my question is, a victory for who? A victory for what? … Victory for not doing something that 90% of Americans, 80% of Republicans, the vast majority of your constituents wanted to get done? It begs the question, who are we here to represent?
5) “I’ve heard folks say that having the families of victims lobby for this legislation was somehow misplaced. A prop somebody called them. Emotional blackmail some outlets said. Are they serious? Do we really think that thousands of families whose lives have been shattered by gun violence don’t have a right to weigh in on this issue? Do we think their emotions, their loss is not relevant to this debate?
6) “So all in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington.”
7) “You need to let your Representatives and Congress know that you are disappointed and that if they don’t act this time, you will remember come election time.”
Chris Howard: America really looks like this - I was looking at the amazing 2012 election maps created by Mark Newman (Department of Physics and Center for the Study of Complex Systems, University of Michigan, http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012 ), and although there is a very interesting blended voting map (Most of the country is some shade of purple, a varied blend of Democrat blue and Republican red) what I really wanted was this blended map with a population density overlay. Because what really stands out is how red the nation seems to be when you do not take the voting population into account; when you do so many of those vast red mid-west blocks fade into pale pink and lavender (very low population).
So I created a new map using Mark’s blended voting map based on the actual numbers of votes for each party overlaid with population maps from Texas Tech University and other sources.
Here’s the result—what the American political voting distribution really looks like.
Now THIS is the most accurate map that I’ve seen, and it is fascinating.
Romney would leave disaster relief to the states, he said … and I’m pretty sure we can complete that statement with a “to say no.”
One of the best political cartoons I’ve seen.
wow. i’m speechless.
Oh shit. When it hits you what this is… Damn.
i thought y’all were being sarcastic
then i saw it
Accurate cartoon is accurate.
Whoa. Took me a while because I couldn’t stop seeing it as a paper clip elephant
Let’s be real, the whole country would be in better shape if this do-nothing Congress with a worse approval rating than herpes would actually, you know, do things.
It’s damned hard to get things done when the Senate will literally block a bill to help VETERANS get JOBS once they get home, let alone pretty much everything else.
That’s why it is important to vote for EVERYONE on your ticket! Don’t just stop after the first check box, OK?